Tuesday, November 11, 2008

ToFurkey- AKA Ask, and it is given

Every Thanksgiving (LOL! for the last 3 years) I've moaned and complained about the price of a Tofurkey. (Don't ask...they are PRICEY)

So I've been on the lookout for a good substitute. Guess what I found in my email box this morning? I'm posting it here so I'll always have it. Papers tend to disappear in my house. *Laugh* Ask my Aunt Jeanne....she's sent me the Runza recipe at LEAST three times.

Tofurkey
from:
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/tofurkyrecipes/r/tofuturkey1.htm?nl=1

Ingredients:
5 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed
2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tbsp vegetable broth powder
2 tbsp poultry seasoning
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup red wine
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp soy sauce
approximately 2 cups prepared vegetarian stuffing

Preparation:
Working in batches as needed, process the tofu in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl, and stir in the fresh chopped sage, thyme, rosemary, vegetable broth powder and poultry seasoning, stirring well to combine.

Line a colander with cheesecloth or a thin towel. Place the tofu in the colander, and layer of cheesecloth or a thin towel on top. Place a weight on top of the towel to gently press the tofu. Place on a plate or towel and chill for at least 3 hours.

Once the tofu is chilled and firm, scoop out the tofu in the middle, creating a hole or a well, and leaving about 1 1/2 inches of a tofu "shell" in the colander.

Gently pat your stuffing into the "well", then gently press the extra tofu on top.

Carefully invert your tofu turkey onto a lightly greased baking sheet.

Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, red wine, Dijon mustard and soy sauce, and baste or brush the tofu generously.

Bake for about 90 minutes at 350 degrees, basting again every 15 minutes.

It makes me all salivate-y....mmmmmm
Love, Ang

No comments: